Visiting College Students

  1. Students enrolled full-time at other institutions may request to attend William & Mary for one semester provided they have permission from the sending college and they plan to return to that institution.
  2. Enrollment must be for a very specific purpose, which is either unique to William & Mary or in some other way central to the degree at the student's home institution.  Visiting status is not intended for mere credit accrual, but rather for a clearly-articulated academic experience.
  3. Enrollment as a Visiting Student is limited to one semester (except for existing exchange agreements). 
  4. Students must be in good standing and matriculated at an accredited four-year college or university.  Applicants must present academic credentials that demonstrate likely success at William & Mary.
  5. Visiting students must enroll full-time (12 or more credits for undergraduates) unless part-time specific goals are approved in the application process and validated by the student's home institution.
International Students

International students interested in visiting student status should NOT complete the Non-Degree Seeking Application but should contact the Reves Center for International Studies for information regarding submitting an exchange student application.


Visiting student status should not be considered an initial stage for transferring to the College. Admission as a visiting student will not guarantee subsequent admission as a transfer student to William & Mary. Students who have been denied admission to William & Mary as transfer applicants will NOT be offered admission as non-degree seeking visiting students.

Application Process
  1. Complete the Non-Degree Seeking Application and the Application to Determine Physical Residency/In-State Tuition (if seeking Virginia in-state tuition privileges).
  2. Submit a personal letter stating your reason for seeking visiting student status.  The quality of this letter, and the thorough explanation of the academic plan for visiting status will weigh heavily in the consideration of admissibility.  A very clear academic proposal, outlining academic experiences important to the degree at the home institution and unique to William & Mary, should be provided.
  3. Send official transcript(s)  for all college work to the Office of the University Registrar.
  4. Send a letter of approval from your Registrar's Office or your academic advisor stipulating specific permissible courses that will transfer to the home institution. This letter should be sent to the Office of the University Registrar and must include the following:
    • Permission to take classes at William & Mary.
    • Confirmation that the specific classes you intend to take will transfer back to your current school towards a bachelor's degree.
Note:  Summer
In summer terms, the official transcript and letter are not required.