Who needs to fill out an Authorized Driver Form?
Anyone driving a personal vehicle or a college van for an official sport club activity must submit a Driver Authorization Form. Approved drivers are eligible to transport club members to Sports Club events in a personal vehicle. Only authorized drivers who have also successfully completed the Van Safety Training Course taught by Campus Police may drive a 12-passenger van or other college vehicle. Check the List of Authorized Drivers (xls) to see if your Drive Authorization Form was approved. A Driver may not be approved if:
- Driver's license is currently suspended or revoked
- Person has had two or more moving violations in the last 12 months
- Person has had a DUI or DWI conviction in the last 24 months
- Person is not covered under an automobile insurance policy
When do I need to submit a new Driver Authorization Form?
Drivers must submit a new form at the beginning of each academic year unless an Authorized Driver's driving record changes at any time during the course of the academic year. In this case, the driver is responsible for completing and submitting a new Driver Authorization Form immediately. A negative change in the status of one's driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving for official sport club business. Events that would require submission of a new form include:
- Receiving a speeding ticket or other moving violation
- A DUI or DWI citation
- Loss of Automobile insurance coverage
Additional Responsibilities for Authorized Drivers
- All drivers must have a valid driver’s license and proof of adequate insurance. Drivers may be held liable for any damage or injury involving College or personal vehicles.
- When driving a privately owned vehicle, it should be in a good state of repair.
- Drivers must keep the Emergency Protocols (pdf) in the vehicle during travel to and from club activities.
- A phone number where you can be reached in an emergency must be supplied on your trip plan.
- The names of all club members traveling in each vehicle must be listed on the Trip Plan Form (Appendix B), which must be submitted prior to the event.
- Travel is only to be directly to and from the location of the event.