CATEGORY 2: I currently have a university-owned cell phone that will be canceled under the new policy but will be transferring to a monthly stipend under the new policy.
Under this category, you MUST complete the Stipend Request Form with approval from your supervisor and appropriate Dean or Vice President.
In addition, you have three options for how you manage your existing phone and phone number:
OPTION 1: TURN IN YOUR UNIVERSITY-OWNED PHONE AND DISCONTINUE USE OF YOUR ASSIGNED PHONE NUMBER. Note: This is the only option for phones issued through the Virginia Information Technology Agency
- Complete a Surplus Property Form. Drop off the form and the phone at Procurement Services located at 115 Grigsby Drive, Facilities Building Lower Level.
OPTION 2: TURN IN YOUR PHONE BUT TRANSFER YOUR ASSIGNED PHONE NUMBER TO A PERSONAL PHONE.
- Complete the Assumption of Liability Form and Surplus Property Form, then drop off both forms along with the phone at Procurement Services located at 115 Grigsby Drive, Facilities Building Lower Level.
OPTION 3: KEEP THE PHONE AND PHONE NUMBER, BUT TRANSFER SERVICE TO A PERSONAL PLAN.
- Complete the Assumption of Liability Form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, if your current phone/contract is not through Verizon, please contact Sherrene Moore at 1-3958 or email@example.com
- Evaluate whether the value of your phone is considered taxable income based on the valuation table below:
- You have the option to keep your phone, however, if the value of the phone exceeds $100, the total value will be considered taxable income to you. Under IRS guidelines, this amount will be reported on your paycheck, and taxes will be withheld. This taxable benefit will be included on your W-2 for calendar year 2017. Even with reportable taxable income, in many cases, this option will provide a more cost effective option than purchasing a new phone and will allow you to maintain your current phone and phone number. Complete Taxable Income Form and send to procurement services at firstname.lastname@example.org.