The Office of Community Engagement and Scholarship (OCES) partners with the Dean of Students to assist students in completing required community service. We enjoy helping students find community engagement opportunities that will be fulfilling for them, and connected to their areas of personal and academic interest.
The Process for Completing Required Community Service Hours
- After you are assigned community service by the Dean of Students Office, contact [[efmiller, Elizabeth Miller]] in the Office of Community Engagement to discuss your plans for service. Ms. Miller will also provide you with a link to complete your required pre-service survey. Make a note on your Verification of Community Service form of the date you completed the survey.
- Complete your service! Note the guidelines below for the kinds of service that are acceptable for fulfilling your requirement.
- Contact Elizabeth Miller again to receive the link to your required post-service survey and arrange a post-service interview. Bring your completed Verification of Community Service form to that interview.
Guidelines for Required Community Service
- Your hours must comprise of direct service with a non-profit or service-organization. Attending philanthropy and similar events does not meet this requirement nor does helping an individual unaffiliated with a service organization or event.
- Volunteer hours you have already completed may count as long as they were completed after the hours were assigned by the College.
- Hours may be fulfilled through volunteer work with multiple organizations so long as each provides verification of the hours you completed.
If you are uncertain where to find an appropriate service opportunity, consider reviewing the Local Agency Directory which includes the contact information for and description of many service and nonprofit organizations in the area. You may also add yourself to the Volunteer Listserv, a weekly listing of current volunteer opportunities.