Would you like to add Microsoft Office to your new computer? William & Mary offers a no-cost licensed version of Microsoft Office 2013 (for PCs) or 2011 (for Macs) to most students while enrolled at W&M. Microsoft Office provides Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Office services.
Which students qualify for this program?
All undergraduate, graduate Arts & Sciences, School of Education and Law School students may use this licensed service. School of Business students have a different version of Microsoft Office available to them and should contact their program for details.
How do I get Office?
- Use the download link at the bottom of this page.
- Enter your WMuserid in the username field (example: tjefferson).
- Enter your WMuserid password. This is the same password that you would use if you are signing-in to Banner Self-Service.
- Follow the prompts to install.
I already have Microsoft Office on my laptop. Should I get this, too?
Probably not. However, you may wish to use the W&M licensed version if you are currently using an older version of Microsoft Office. It also depends on what type of laptop you have.
- PCs - this Office 2013 licensed version and a purchased version can coexist. When the license expires (when you are no longer enrolled as a student) you will still have your previous version of Microsoft Office to use.
- Macs - this Office 2011 licensed version may overwrite any other instances of Microsoft Office on your computer. You may lose the version that you have purchased if you choose to install this one.
How many computers will my license cover?
You may apply your license of Microsoft Office to a maximum of 5 laptop or desktop computers.
What happens when I hit my limit of 5 computers?
Once you hit your 5 computer limit, you can choose to deactivate an old installation. Just follow the same link used to download (at the bottom of this page), sign in, and click Deactivate by one or more computers.
I'd rather buy it.
That's fine. You can purchase a non-licensed version of Microsoft Office with a student discount at the Microsoft Store.
Must I be connected to the Internet to use Microsoft Office?
Not always. You may work and save your progress offline. However, to maintain your license, the application must connect to the Internet once every 30 days. Simply turn on your computer and open an Office program (like Word) to connect. If that connection is not made after 30 days, the license will expire, but will reactivate once you are connected again - as long as you maintain an active student status.
What if I become a Business student?
Graduate business students fall under a different license agreement and should contact their program for details. Undergraduate students that major in business may continue to use this license program or choose the one offered by the School of Business.
When will my license expire?
The license is active as long as you are an enrolled student at W&M (including periods of study abroad). So your license will expire either when you graduate or if you separate from the College prior to graduation.
...or go to getoffice.wm.edu in your browser
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 208, Mon. - Fri. 8:00 am - 5:00 pm