Cached Exchange Mode
Cached Exchange Mode can be the culprit of various problems when using Exchange - ranging from the address book not refreshing to calendars not updating. In Outlook 2010 (the PC version) you can avoid these problems by turning-off the cache mode. However, turning-off the cache mode may increase the time needed for searches and for downloading large amounts of data, like an Inbox.
To turn Cached Exchange Mode off (or on) follow these steps:
Outlook 2010 (PCs)
- Open Outlook on your PC and click on Files tab. The Account Information screen opens.
- Click on the Account Settings icon and select Account Settings.... from the drop down menu.
- In the Email Accounts screen, select the appropriate account and then click the Change button.
- In the Server Settings screen, under the Server name field, find the checkbox entitled Use Cached Exchange Mode.
- Uncheck this box to turn-off Cached Exchange Mode. (Check the box to turn it on).
- Click on the Next button.
- Click OK on the alert.
- Click Finish.
- Close Outlook
- Restart Outlook (expect a brief delay the first time opening it after turning-off Cached Exchange Mode).
Outlook 2011 (Macs)
The Mac version of Exchange (Outlook 2011) operates in cached mode and unfortunately it cannot be turned-off. This can be especially bothersome in Calendar when granting access to others due to a delay in recognizing these newly-granted permissions. Learn ways to work-around permission delays.
Cache & Cookies
Learn more about Cache & Cookies.