Quick Access: Login via myWM or directly blackboard.wm.edu.
Blackboard's video tutorials
The latest version of Blackboard is now live at W&M. Blackboard provides video tutorials for this version through their On Demand Learning Center. However, these tutorials are not specific to our Blackboard environment and are sometimes hard to follow. Use them at your discretion. The links are below:
W&M's video tutorials
The College also has more targeted tutorials that were created by our own staff based on our specific Blackboard environment and are often more directly to the point. We suggest using the below tutorials whenever possible.
Each of the following help topics will lead you to W&M IT's Youtube channel for a video tutorial of the previous version of Blackboard. Functionally, it is very similar to the newly-released version. We are currently working on updating these tutorials.
Thank-you for your patience!
Table of Contents
- Creating your Blackboard site
- Adding Static Content
- Assessment Tools: Assignments, SafeAssign, Tests, Grade Center
- Collaborative Tools
- Manage Site and Content
- Manage Users
Blackboard for class use
- Creating your Blackboard site [back to top]
- Create a brand new site for a course you're teaching (Updated 8/12)
- Create a site by combining multiple sections into one Blackboard site (Updated 8/12)
- Request a non-Academic course site (Updated 8/12)
- Create a Faculty Dossier Site for Tenure and Promotion (Updated 8/12)
- Adding Static Content [back to top]
- Edit Mode, the new way to add course content without the control panel!
- Organizing your content in folders
- Editing your folder names and setting availability dates
- Adding files and text
- NEW for Bb 9! Adding Audio Content
- NEW for Bb 9! Adding Video Content
- NEW for Bb 9! File Repository: Batch Upload Feature
- NEW for Bb9! File Repository: Making Files Available
- Adding external links
- Adding course links
- Adding a Course Tools link to a content area (create an easy place to find Groups, Email function, Blogs, etc.
- Communication [back to top]
- NEW for Bb9! Blackboard 9 Homepage: Introduction
- NEW for Bb9! Blackboard 9 Homepage: Customize Part 1
- NEW for Bb9! Blackboard 9 Homepage: Customize Part 2
- NEW for Bb9! Create a Module Page (this is basically the new Homepage discussed above)
- Sending emails and adding email tool to course menu
- Creating announcements
- Assessment Tools [back to top]
- Assignments: Creating Assignments
- Assignments: How Do Students Upload their work?
- Assignments: Viewing and Grading Assignments online
- Assignments: Bulk Download Student papers to read on my computer
- Assignments: Paperless grading and reposting graded papers
- Assignments: How do students view their grades and graded papers?
- SafeAssign: Creating SafeAssignments
- SafeAssign: How Do Students Upload their work?
- SafeAssign: Checking submitted papers for originality
- SafeAssign: Bulk Download SafeAssignments
- SafeAssign: Grading SafeAssignments online
- SafeAssign: How do students see their grades?
- SafeAssign: Spot-check individual papers for plagiarism using Direct Submit
- Testing: Creating a test and test questions
- Testing: Adding Images to Test Questions
- Testing: Bulk Upload Questions
This is a great non-video explanation from CalPoly of how you can create a simple text file and upload a batch of questions easily to Bb.
- Testing: Deploying your test
Once a test has been created, it needs to be deployed so the students can take it.
- Testing: Taking a test and reviewing test scores
See what the student will see when taking and reviewing an online test.
- Testing: Reviewing and grading online tests
- Testing: Exporting Tests to a New Blackboard Site
- Grade Center: Adding Columns and entering grades for assignments and tests not created in Blackboard
- Grade Center: Modifying a Column
You can edit most of a column's information--name, point value, etc--here.
- Grade Center: Hiding a Column
The Grade Center can get unwieldy, so this tutorial shows you how to hide columns you don't currently need to see.
- Grade Center: Hiding a Grade Column from students (Updated 9/2012)
- Grade Center: Revealing a Column
- Grade Center: Moving Columns
- Grade Center: Delete Columns
- Grade Center: Entering Grades
- Grade Center: Weighted Totals (Updated 5/2013)
- Collaborative Tools [back to top]
- Manage Site and content [back to top]
- Moving/copying files and folders within a site
- Moving/copying files and folders between two sites
- Archiving and exporting course sites
- Exporting and importing tests
- Unarchiving course sites & uploading files from archived sites
- Customizing your site:
- Manage Users [back to top]