Network storage drives moved to a new server this summer.
Network storage drives (like the G: Drive, H: Drive, P: Drive, etc) moved to a new storage server, jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu, from the old storage server, files.campus.wm.edu. The new server replaced aging hardware, provides additional storage space, reduces storage equipment costs, and provides data replication for purposes of disaster recovery.
W&M Websites - Sunday, Sep. 29
Most non-Cascade W&M websites will be moving to a new storage server on Sunday, Sep. 29 starting at 9:00 am and running throughout the day and evening. The websites will continue to be available, however some resources may be missing just while the website is moved (e.g. uploaded pictures or files). If possible, do not make changes to these websites on Sunday.
Reconnecting to your drives
When your shared drive moves, you may have to remap to it. Here's how:
When you login to your windows workstation after the move it should automatically map the drives to the correct locations. If you find that you don't have a drive correctly mapped when you log in, you may have to remap it. Just right click on the drive letter (in this case G: or H:), select disconnect, and then log out and log back in.
To manually map to the servers, the addresses are:
- G: Drive (group drive) - \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\home$ (replace "home$" with the name of the drive)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's G:Drive: \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\monticello$
- H: Drive (personal drive) - \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\username (replace "username" with your WMuserid)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's H:Drive: \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\tjefferson
- P: Drive (public drive) - \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\pubroot$
If you use a Mac, you'll need to remap the storage drives. To do that, open Finder, click on the Go menu item, and select Connect to Server. The server addresses are:
- G: Drive (group drive) - smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/home$ (replace "home$" with the name of the drive)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's G:Drive: smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/monticello$
- H: Drive (personal drive) - smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/username (replace "username" with your WMuserid)
Example for Thomas Jefferson's H:Drive: smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/tjefferson
- P: Drive (public drive) - smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/pubroot$
After you paste in the correct address, click connect. You will be prompted to enter your name and password.
- Select Registered User
- Put in your username in this format: CAMPUS\wmuserid (ex. CAMPUS\tjefferson)
- Enter your password.
Accessing network drives from off-campus
Connect to your files from off-campus using a secure ftp client. Once connected to sftp.wm.edu, you can find a newly updated list of drive addresses in the "SFTP_INFO" folder, a file named "sftp_drivepaths.txt".
Banner Admin users can also access network files via the Virtual Desktop Image (VDI) from off-campus.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 208, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm