Blackboard is changing its inline grading tool from Crocodoc to a new version of Box View.
Blackboard's current service for inline grading, Crocodoc (within the Assignments feature), will be discontinued January 15, 2018. As a result, Blackboard is updating the inline grading feature to a new version of a service called Box View.
The transition will take place on Saturday 1/13 starting at 5:00pm. It is expected to take 3-4 hours, but could be longer. During this transition, Blackboard will be available, but there will be a period of unavailability for the inline grading service within the Assignment tool in Blackboard.
After the transition, you won't be able to change the existing annotations made in Crocodoc. They will still be available in Box View, but in a read-only mode. The Crocodoc annotations are “burned” into a .pdf file. You will be able to add new annotations with the Box View annotation tools, but they can't interact with annotations created in Crocodoc.
This hand-out outlines the changes between Blackboard Crocodoc vs. New Box View (pdf) and includes FAQs about Box View.
Box View Features include:
- Expanded support of new file types including images, video and audio files
- Point-based or highlighting-based comments
- Simple and convenient way to view and annotate student assignment submissions
Please note that some functionality will be lost in the current state of Box View. Blackboard is working with Box View to restore these pieces of functionality.
- The ability to download files with the annotations included will no longer be available. Blackboard suggests using screenshots instead.
- Drawing and strikethrough will no longer be available as annotation tools.
Students may refer to Blackboard's Assignment Grades support website for details about the student experience.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 201, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm