The Office of Institutional Analysis & Effectiveness (IAE) encompasses functions pertaining to both assessment and institutional research. IAE conducts and facilitates assessment studies.
Results of assessment studies are used to enhance student learning and inform planning and budgeting. Assessment reports are shared with the Provost, Deans, and other relevant offices and committees, and faculty members. Results also are included in reports to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and other external agencies.
IAE also supports the College’s administrative and academic decision makers by providing management information derived from a wide range of data sources. In short, we collect, process, interpret, and translate data into useful information.
Standard office functions include:
- Reports to external constituencies ranging from the required state reports to the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) and federal reports to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), as well as annual submissions to non-governmental groups such as American Associate of University Professionals (AAUP), commercial college information publication enterprises for rankings and information dissemination, and specific donors and sponsors of interest to the College.
- Provides management information such as enrollment trends and projections, faculty and staffing patterns, classroom utilization, student majors and degrees production, financial aid patterns, and academic characteristics of applicants and performance of students to assist budgeting, strategic planning, program review, and accreditation.
- Disseminates core College information through the office web site.
- Advises and assists on research design, testing, and data collection procedures for student assessment activities at the College.
- Responds to ad hoc requests from College personnel and students, other government personnel, representatives of the media, and general public.
IAE adheres to the accepted Code of Ethics for our profession.