Hiring a Temp?
There are two ways to hire a temporary employee to work in your department. Using PeopleAdmin to establish a temporary position and using an external temporary agency. To establish a temporary position, please refer to the Temporary Employment Guide for step by step instructions to guide you through the process of creating a temporary position and hiring the temporary using PeopleAdmin.
If you choose to work with a temporary services agency, a link to a list of agencies and their rates can be found at: Temporary Agencies Resources
Using a temporary employment agency is a viable strategy to assist in covering either a short-term or long-term absence or vacancy, however it can be costly.
Tips for Identifying and Evaluating Temporary Agencies
- Be clear about what your goals are and what you hope to gain through from the use of a temp.
- Find out about the agency's specializations, client companies, typical work assignments and the benefits and training that may be available to temporary employees.
- Make sure that the representative placing your request for a temp would be easily accessible and actively interested in your particular situation.
- Ask about the agency's screening and interview process.
- Make sure you are completely satisfied with the employment conditions of the agency before you bring on a temp.
- Be selective and also feel free to inquire with more than one agency at the same time.