It is the policy of W&M to hire individuals only after conducting criminal history and other background checks and considering whether any past conduct, if repeated at W&M, could substantially adversely affect an important interest of the university or members of the campus community. Please refer to the policy at Employee Background Checks
Effective as of May 15, 2014, Truescreen, a third party provider will process criminal history background checks for those applicants considered as a finalist for a non-sensitive position. The process is as follows:
- The Disclosure and Background Release form is no longer needed to request a criminal history background check and is no longer available on the Department of Human Resource website.
- A new online electronic release form is now available for applicants with an active email address.
- During the hiring process, determine if the applicant has an active email account and verify the email address.
- To request a criminal history background check to be run, send an email to your Employment Specialist working with you on the recruitment. Include in the email the following information:
- applicant's full name
- applicant's email address
- position number and title of position
- index number to charge the fee
- An email will be sent to the applicant inviting them to login to the Application Station to complete the online release form and complete the required information for Truescreen to run the report. The results will be returned to the designated indivduals in Human Resources.
- The turnaround time for most checks will be within two days of receiving the release from the applicant.
- Your Employment Specialist will communicate clearance of the candidate once the process is complete.
- For information regarding the fees association with the standard criminal history background check as well as the type of information provided, please refer to the Truescreen Criminal History Background Check Details.