Note: Effective November 7, 2016 performance evaluations are completed using Cornerstone, our new online performance management system. Details about Cornerstone. Access Cornerstone at cornerstone.wm.edu.
Performance Management is the foundation to set and clearly communicate performance standards and expectations. An effective performance management process will
- align the efforts of supervisors and employees with departmental and campus goals
- promote consistency in performance assessment
- motivate employees to perform at their best
- ensure fairness and transparency
The employee, supervisor, and the university are critical members of a partnership that ensures effective performance planning, coaching, development and evaluation.
Performance management is a continuous process requiring setting clear performance expectations, constructive feedback, coaching/instruction, and recognition for improvement and contributions. Effective performance management is built on the foundation of a trusting relationship between supervisor and employee that enables open two-way communication.
The performance management cycle consists of:
- Coaching & Providing Feedback
- Completing the Evaluation