Annual leave accrues at the rate of 2.00 days per month of full-time employment (24 days per year). Leave may be accumulated up to 30 days (240 hrs) per calendar year.
University Sick/ Disability and Paid Dependent Leave Plan
Eligible employees may elect the university sick and disability plan that offers 120 calendar days of paid sick/disability and paid dependent leave. Please note that ORP participants are automatically enrolled in this plan. Employees who use all or any portion of the initial 120 days of paid disability leave during any contract year shall be credited with up to 30 additional days of paid disability leave effective the beginning of each subsequent contract year. All eligible employees may not accumulate or use more than 120 days of paid disability leave during any contract year.
When employees on 12-month contracts take disability/sick leave for more than ten working days (cumulative) or when they take annual leave, they must report their leave to the Office of Human Resources (available under the “Employee” tab on Banner).
The following kinds of dependent care leave may qualify for up to 120 days of paid leave:
- care for an ill or injured family member (“family care”);
- care for the faculty member's child, including a step-child, under the age of one without regard to illness or injury (“infant care”); and
- care for a faculty member's newly adopted child under the age of seven during the first year of adoption without regard to illness or injury (“newly-adopted child care"). Paid leave for family care, infant care or newly-adopted child care leave is available only when the faculty member is the person who primarily provides for the physical care of the family member, infant or newly-adopted child. When practicable, paid leave for infant care or newly-adopted child care should be taken wholly within one semester. Disability leave associated with pregnancy and dependent care leave may be combined, provided that the total paid leave does not exceed 120 days (per III.D.3.a.); except under exceptional circumstances and subject to approval by the Provost, instructional faculty leave must be taken during a single semester for a single pregnancy/birth.
Eligible employees may not take more than 120 calendar days for sick leave and/or paid dependent care leave.
Access the Faculty Handbook (pdf) for more information.
Access the Professional Handbook (pdf) for more information.
Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP)
If you choose the Virginia Retirement Plan, you may choose to enroll in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) rather than the College's Long Term Disability plan. VSDP provides eligible employees with income security when they cannot work due to a partial or total disability. The program includes sick, family and personal leave; short-term disability; long-term disability and a long-term care program. VSDP benefits cover non-work related and work related conditions. Employees must satisfy a one year waiting period to be eligible for short-term and long-term disability; as well as long-term care. Only participants who elect VRS as their retirement plan are eligible to participate in the VSDP plan.
- Access the VSDP Handbook (pdf) for more information.
Community Service Leave
Provides employees 16 hours of paid leave for services within their communities through school assistance or as a volunteer member of a community service organization.
Leave to Donate Bone Marrow or Organs
Provides eligible employees with an additional 30 workdays of paid leave to donate bone marrow or organs.
Employees receive 12 paid holidays per year:
- New Year's Day - January 1
- Lee-Jackson Day - Friday preceding the Third Monday in January (*WM saves this holiday until winter break)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Third Monday in January
- George Washington Day - Third Monday in February(*WM saves this holiday until winter break)
- Memorial Day - Last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4th
- Labor Day - First Monday in September
- Columbus Day - Second Monday in October(*WM saves this holiday until winter break)
- Veteran's Day - November 11 (*WM saves this holiday until winter break)
- Thanksgiving Day - Fourth Thursday in November
- The day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day - December 25th
* The College shifts these state holidays to the winter break (Christmas through New Year's Day) to enable the university to close during that period. Essential personnel may be required to work during these times. This leave is non cumulative and no severance payments are made with respect to unused holiday leave.