How do you determine sanctions? 

Sanctions are determined using a variety of factors including the nature and severity of the violation, related circumstances, impact on the campus/community, past history, precedent, and educational value of the sanction.

Also, the Student Code of Conduct prescribes a range of sanctions for several policies, and case administrators and hearing panels are limited to those sanctions if the student is found responsible.

For Honor Council violations, the presumptive sanction is always removal from the College (i.e., suspension, indefinite suspension or dismissal), and only for significant reasons will the sanction be less than suspension.

What are primary and secondary sanctions?

Every student who is determined to be responsible for violating a policy in the Student Code of Conduct or the Honor Code will receive at least one primary sanction. Primary sanctions range from a Warning to Dismissal. Please see the Sanctions section of the Student Handbook for a list of sanctions that can be assigned.

Secondary sanctions are sanctions that are assigned in addition to a primary sanction and can include education, service, restitution or similar assignments.

What if I am already on probation and commit another violation?

Probation constitutes a warning that further misconduct or violation of College regulations, during the period of probation, will be referred to the appropriate committee or administrative officer and may result in the student's separation from the College.

If you are on probation and you violate another policy, then you could likely be removed from the College. Thus, you should be extremely thoughtful about your behavior and should make every effort to avoid future violations. To that end, you should take time to familiarize yourself with the Student Code of Conduct as it is listed in the Student Handbook.

Also, if you have previously been placed on probation for a violation, and you commit a similar violation, you could still face removal from the College.

What types of community service are acceptable if I am assigned community service as a secondary sanction?

If the hearing panel or case administrator assigned a specific type of community service, then you must do that type of service unless otherwise approved by the Dean of Students Office.

If no specific sanction was assigned, then you will likely be referred to the Office of Community Engagement and Scholarship to determine what kind of community service you would like to perform.  Acceptable service could include tutoring local children or working at a homeless shelter or humane society.

Whether you were assigned a specific type of service or not, you will be required to meet with the Office of Community Engagement both before and after you perform your community service.

How do I get reinstated after a disciplinary/honor withdrawal?

You must submit a request for reinstatement, in writing, to the Dean of Students office sometime during the regular semester (fall or spring) immediately prior to the one you for which you are hoping to be reinstated.

If you were suspended for a finite period (i.e. through Spring 2010), reinstatement is automatic unless there are other encumbrances on your record (i.e., additional conduct violations or an academic suspension). You will still need to apply for readmission through the Dean of Students Office.

If you were suspended indefinitely from the College, you must request a reinstatement hearing at which you may present information to the appropriate administrator or hearing panel showing that you are ready to return to the College and abide by its standards. If you are reinstated, you will still need to complete a readmission form in the Dean of Students Office office in order to return to the College.