Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 provides that:
No person…shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance...
Title IX prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual assault, occurring in connection with any academic, athletic, extracurricular, or other university program, regardless of the location.
The College created its Sexual Assault Response Protocol to comply with Title IX, so student survivors of a sexual assault have two additional advocates for them on campus, the Title IX Coordinator and her Deputy.
Pursuant to Title IX and its regulations (34 C.F.R. Part 106.8), William & Mary's Title IX Coordinator is the designated university official with primary responsibility for coordinating the university's compliance with Title IX and other federal and state laws and regulations relating to sex-based discrimination.
The Title IX Coordinator:
- promotes the creation of policies, procedures and notifications designed to ensure university compliance with Title IX;
- oversees implementation of compliance (grievance) procedures, including investigation and disposition of complaints;
- answers questions and provides guidance about Title IX compliance and the university's related policies and procedures;
- is a liaison to the state and federal agencies that enforce Title IX;
- helps ensure the campus community and university employees with Title IX compliance responsibilities are adequately trained and educated; and
- monitors all other aspects of the university's Title IX compliance.
William & Mary’s Title IX Coordinator
Kiersten L. Boyce, JD
University Compliance and Policy Officer
College of William & Mary
204 Hornsby House
Williamsburg, VA 23185