Students who apply to become tutors are contacted on a rolling basis as the need for tutoring in different subjects arises. Applications may be submitted at any time to be reviewed.
When applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. If the TutorZone is not currently in need of tutors in a particular area, applications that meet our qualifications are kept on file and may be referred to in the event that a position becomes available.
- Minimum overall W&M GPA of 3.0 (3.5 or higher strongly preferred)
- Courses to tutor must have been taken at W&M (some exceptions)
- Courses to tutor must have a grade of B+ or higher (grade of A preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- A personal and professional commitment to academic integrity
- Previous tutoring experience appreciated but not required
Preference is given to applicants with a larger number and variety of courses to tutor.
Students will not be hired to tutor during their freshman year unless there is an urgent need for tutors in a particular course. Generally, applications from freshmen will be held for future consideration.
- So as not to impact their own academic performance, tutors have control over their tutoring availability and the number of hours they tutor. However, tutors are expected to maintain a reasonable number of available hours through the exam periods, and notify TutorZone staff of any major changes to regularly scheduled availability.
- Tutors attend scheduled tutor training sessions and meetings.
- Tutors learn and utilize the 4-Step Tutoring Approach employed by the TutorZone.
- Tutors maintain a friendly demeanor and positive attitude while tutoring.
- Tutors adhere to the W&M Code of Honor and sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
- Tutors respect and care for the space and materials of the TutorZone.
- Tutors reply promptly to staff communications and keep accurate payroll records.
Starting pay is $7.25 per hour for tutoring, the university-set student minimum wage. Pay increases are earned through successful completion of levels of the Tribe TutorZone's CRLA certified training program and satisfactory evaluations and reviews. Federal Work-Study students are encouraged to apply.
- Submit the Tutor Application form below.
- Have a faculty member from each subject area you wish to tutor submit a Faculty Recommendation form. Direct your faculty recommenders to the For Faculty page in the left-hand menu.
The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age in the administration of educational policies, programs or activities, admission policies and procedures, scholarship and loan prgrams, employment, recreational, athletic, or other college-administered programs.
Please direct all questions to [[tutorzone]]