The TutorZone accepts applications on a rolling basis, and tutors are hired as needed throughout the semester. If the TutorZone is not currently in need of tutors in a particular area, applications recieved for that area are kept on file, and referred to in the event that a position becomes available.
- Complete a Tutor Application and Availability Schedule Form (pdf)
- Have a Faculty Recommendation Form (pdf) or email recommendation submitted by a faculty member from each subject area that you wish to tutor
All materials should be emailed to email@example.com from William & Mary email accounts or faxed to 757-221-2538. Electronic signatures will be accepted.
Applications will be reviewed once all of the materials have been recieved. Applicants will be notified whether they have been selected for an interview or if their application has been filed for future consideration.
- Minimun overall W&M GPA of 3.0 (3.5 or higher strongly preferred)
- Courses to tutor must have been taken at W&M (some exceptions)
- Courses to tutor must have a grade of B+ or higher (grade of A preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- A personal and professional commitment to academic integrity
- Previous tutoring experience appreciated but not required
Preference will be given to applicants with a larger number and variety of courses to tutor.
Students will not be hired to tutor during their freshman year unless there is an urgent need for tutors in a particular course. Generally, applications from freshman students will be filed for future consideration.
- So as not to impact their own academic performance, tutors will have control over their tutoring availability and the number of hours they tutor. However, tutors are expected to maintain a reasonable bumber of available hours through the exam periods, and notify TutorZone staff of any major changes to regularly scheduled availability.
- Tutors will attend scheduled tutor training sessions and meetings.
- Tutors will learn and utilize the 4-Step Tutoring Approach employed by the TutorZone.
- Tutors will maintain a friendly demeanor and positive attitude while tutoring.
- Tutors will adhere to the W&M Code of Honor and sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
- Tutors will respect and care for the space and materials of the TutorZone.
- Tutors will reply promptly to staff communications and keep accurate payroll records.
Tutors will be paid $7.25 per hour for tutoring, which is the university set student minimum wage.
The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age in the administration of educational policies, programs or activities, admission policies and procedures, scholarship and loan prgrams, employment, recreational, athletic, or other college-administered programs.
Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org