Fitness & Recreation
Just because you're busy, doesn't mean you shouldn't work out!
If you're in Washington for the summer or semester, here are some great resources for you to stay active and get fit
- Fitness Center - 24-hour state of the art in the Buchanan
- YMCA - 17th and Rhode Island Avenue (You have access to competitive student membership rates here, as detailed below.)
- LA Fitness - 3650 S Glebe Rd, Arlington
- Sport & Health Clubs - 2231 Crystal Dr, Arlington
- Beyond Fitness - 1600 S EADS St, Arlington
- Gold's Gym - 2945 S Glebe Rd, Arlington
- Washington Sports Club - Numerous Locations (They have aerobic machines, classes, and free and machine weights. They also offer a student membership and free one-week trial pass. Staff is very friendly.)
- Results - G St. SE near 3rd St
- Capitol Hill Yoga - 221 5th St NW
Parks and Trails
- Tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields, and running and biking trails - 1600 South Hayes St, Arlington, VA
- Running and biking trails on the Mount Vernon Trail - Off 26th Street, towards the National Airport (Arlington, VA)
- Kayaking on the Potomac from Georgetown and Alexandria.
- Indoor rock climbing (5308 Eisenhower Avenue Alexandria, VA 22304)
YMCA Student Membership Agreement
Out of the many gyms in the downtown DC area, the YMCA offered the best deal to students. They write:
"Thanks for choosing the YMCA to be the fitness facility of choice in the DC area. Our beloved association has been around for over 150 years. So you can see our tradition has taken us a long way. The YMCA has also pioneered basketball, softball, racquetball, and synchronized swimming. Not to mention, the millions of lives that have been touched by us as well. The YMCA National Capital is currently partners with several colleges that have their students use our facility. By joining our wonderful family, you will have access to all 7 floors of our facility. Yes that's right, 7 floors of fitness! There are over 90 classes and 75% of them are free with the membership as well. Here is the current agreement that we have with them that we are extending to you (William and Mary):
- Each student must pay for 2, 3, or 4 months in advance (prices based on $56/month and $12.50 joiner fee).
- 2 months: $124.50
- 3 months: $180.50
- 4 months: $236.50
- All students must present student ID upon completion of membership application and payment.
What has separated the YMCA from the rest is our non-profit status. For-profit organizations have their membership fees go to the bottom line. Whereas our YMCA committed members help us send kids to camp, scholarships, and financial assistance (for those families that cannot afford the regular membership based on income). So when you join our family you will not only stay healthy, but you have an option to contribute to a greater cause (sponsorship or volunteer). Please feel free to contact me by phone or email with any questions."
Corporate Partnership Liaison
YMCA National Capital
1711 Rhode Island Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036