Bringing YouTube content onto your site.
Need to place an existing widget on your page? Skip to Step 3.
Step 1: Find the YouTube Video ID
- find the video in YouTube
- click on "share"
- the Video ID is the string that follows "v=" or "http://youtu.be/" from the share URL (it'll look something like: 9uDDxliL2w8)
Step 2: Build a YouTube Widget
- Navigate to your widget storage folder. Don't have one yet? Build one now.
- Select New > YouTube Widget Folder (if you don't have this asset, contact your Cascade Web Manager).
- Enter a System Name (no spaces, all lower case) and Display Name.
- Edit the Widget file.
- Enter a Display Name and Title, enter Header Text and select Header Text Size, enter the YouTube Video ID and Teaser Text.
- Choose an Internal URL or enter an External URL for a "More..." link.
- Submit and Publish.
- Edit the page
- Check the box to “Show Right Column?”
- In the Widgets section, use the [ ] to browse to the Widget file.
- Submit and Publish the page.
What if my YouTube Widget does not show up on a published page?
Widgets need to be published separate from the page(s) that contain them. Make sure that your YouTube Widget folder is published.
What should I do if I added the widget to a page, but I don't see it in the preview?
In addition to adding the widget to your page, you must check the box next to 'Show right column?' in order to enable ANY features in the third column.
Can I put widgets on my page from other sites?
Sure! When you browse to select a Widget file, you can select one located anywhere in the folder navigation tree. (Note that you cannot borrow widgets from other schools ... for example www.wm.edu sites cannot borrow law.wm.edu widgets.)