Similar to a News Story, but with a different flavor.
Feature vs. News Story: Which should I create?
Features look a lot like news stories, only they have NO by-line or date-line, making them more timeless in nature. Your listing page of features will be sorted in folder order, which means the site webmaster can choose the order in which they appear.
Are you new to working with Features?
- If your site does not yet use Features, you will first need to create a Features Listing Folder.
- See an example of a Feature and an example of a Feature listing page.
- You can borrow features from elsewhere in Cascade into your Features folder. Learn how to work with Borrowed Features.
Step 1: Prepare your images
- You will need to prepare and upload a square thumbnail image which will display on your listing page.
- (optional) Add a photoset to your feature. You can build your photoset before you begin, or create one and add it later. See an example and learn how to build your photoset.
- With Features, you have the option to customize the banner image. Since an image template is required to account for the navigation bar overlay, the [[creative, Creative Services team]] is happy to assist in creating these if necessary.
Step 2: Create a Feature
If you would like to include a feature that exists elsewhere in Cascade, follow the steps to create a Borrowed Feature instead.
- Navigate to your features folder.
- From the top blue menu, choose New >> Feature.
- Complete the applicable fields: Title, Summary and Teaser.
- Set the parent and sibling checkboxes. These adjust the left menu on this page only.
- Enter the body of your feature in the Content box.
- Do not copy and paste directly from another source (Word, email, webpage). First copy from the source, then in Cascade click the Paste as Plain Text button before you paste. You can also clean up your text by first pasting it into a text editor such as Textpad or Notepad.
- Add your uploaded thumbnail image by clicking the [ ] browsing symbol next to Square Thumbnail. Select the correct image and Confirm.
- Submit and publish your features folder.
Step 3. (optional) Add a photo gallery, audio clip or document link to your story
For photo gallery: build your gallery.
- For audio clip: save the standard audio file to the Media drive.
- For document: upload your document.
- Edit the page.
- Find the Other Media >> Media section.
- Use the dropdown to select the 'Media Type'.
- Click the [ ] icon next to Media page to browse to and select the gallery index page or document, or fill in the the URL of your Media drive file.
- Submit and publish.
Step 4: (optional) Adding fun features to your Feature
- Use the Photoset section to add a photoset to the top of your page.
- Add Related Links or other features to the right column to direct readers to other items of interest.
- Embed a YouTube video within the content area, or create a YouTube widget to place in the right-hand column.
Resolving potential problems
My page has a weird shaded rectangle just under my feature title...
It sounds like you have selected a 'Media Type' from the Other Media area dropdown, but have not selected the media to be referenced. You can either:
- change the dropdown to 'None', and the shaded box will go away, or
- use the browsing brackets under the dropdown to select the media to be linked. This will add the proper media icon and link to the shaded box.