- In January 2017, W&M published three new facilities policies: a policy on Energy and Water Use, a policy on Off-Street Vehicular Traffic and Parking, and a policy on Approval of Maintenance, Repair, Modification, and Construction of University Facilities or on University Grounds. The Energy and Water Use policy helps implement the Sustainability Policy by specifically addressing use of these resources, by setting rules regarding: lighting, space heating and cooling, computer and other office equipment, other miscellaneous energy use, water, and purchasing/procurement. The Off-Street Vehicular Traffic and Parking Policy has rules and guidelines for driving vehicles on campus grounds, as well as parking. The Approval of Maintenance policy centralizes approval and management of maintenance, repair, modification and construction with the professional team of facilities specialists within the Office of Facilities Management.
- Also in January 2017, W&M published a new policy on Out-of-State Employees. It establishes a process for managers/departments to obtain Human Resources and Financial Operations approval for employees who live or work outside of Virginia.
- In December 2016, W&M published two new policies relating to hours of work, overtime, and leave: a Policy on Compensatory and Overtime Leave, applicable to non-exempt employees, and a Policy on Hours of Work and Overtime. Together, the two policies set rules (consistent with federal laws on overtime pay) for when and how employees earn, accrue, and may use overtime leave or pay. The Compensatory and Overtime Leave policy also clarifies when employees earn compensatory leave, such as for working when the university is closed.
- Also in December 2016, W&M published a new On-Call Policy, which provides guidelines to department and unit heads, managers, and supervisors regarding the process and procedures to be followed for Hourly and Operational non-exempt employees who are required to maintain their availability after hours and be on-call to come back to work or to otherwise be available to respond to emergency situations on campus.
Significant proposed policies and policy revisions are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.
- Proposed International Travel Policy. The purpose of this policy is to outline the approval process for university-supported or university-related international travel, and related requirements, thereby promoting such travel while mitigating associated risks. It is available for review and comment via Tribe Response Form.
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
Proposed revisions to the Classification Policy and the Compensation Policy for Professional and Operational Employees were available for campus review and comment until October 20, 2016. The policies are now being finalized.
Policy on Financial Conflict of Interest. This policy was adopted in 1995 and has not been updated. Proposed revisions are underway.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials.
- Lactation policy (policy relating to employees or students breastfeeding children or expressing milk). There is a website with information on pregancy and lactation rights and resources.
- Policy on FMLA leave.
- Outside food sourcing policy (under development by Auxiliary Services).