Proposed Policies and Regulations
Significant proposed policies, regulations and policy revisions or amendments are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.
1. A new, proposed regulation on Open Flame on Campus (pdf) is posted for campus notice and comment. The regulation establishes the limitations on the presence of open flames in university buildings or on university property, and imposes the requirement for a permit for certain activities involving open burning or open flames. This is the first regulation on this subject; the regulation relates to W&M's open flame/burn permit guidelines.
The regulation is available for comment until March 30th. Submit questions or comments via Tribe Response form.
2. A Policy on Conflict of Interest is posted for campus notice and comment.
- The policy’s main purpose is to communicate existing rules regarding conflicts of interest. By gathering and explaining these rules in a single policy, employees will be better able to understand them and avoid conflicts of interest.
- The policy also impose some new requirements. For example: (1) employees who have a family or other conflict relationship with a student or other employee are required to disclose that to their supervisor, so that the conflict can be managed, (2) employees who have a conflict of interest covered by the Virginia conflict of interest law are required to disclose that internally, to a new conflict of interest committee, for review.
- The policy, as proposed, does not apply to faculty.
- The policy establishes a conflicts committee to review conflict situations that are reported internally and to support staff and administrators.
The policy is available for review and comment until March 30th. Submit comments or questions via Tribe Response form.
3. William & Mary is proposing amendments to the Weapons on Campus Regulation (pdf). This regulation was published in the Virginia Administrative Code in 2012 (Agency 115, Chapter 20). The regulation create rules for visitors relating to weapons on university property. (Rules for W&M students and employees are found in a separate Weapons on Campus Policy; no changes to the Policy are contemplated at this time.)
Revisions to the regulation are being proposed to (a) specify the weapons covered, rather than referring to a separate legal definition of weapons, (b) expand and clarify the scope of the weapons prohibition and the exceptions, and (c) specify how the weapons prohibition will be enforced. The proposed amendments are available for review and comment until March 30th. Submit questions or comments via Tribe Response form.
Policies adopted within the past six month are highlighted below.
- The Designation of Funds as Donation/Gift or Grant/Sponsored Program is effective January 1, 2018
- The Agency Fund Policy is effective October 2, 2017.
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
- The proposed Family and Medical Leave Act Policy was available for review until September 18. It is now being finalized. This policy ensures that the university complies with the Family and Medical Leave Act, which guarantees eligible employees with unpaid leave in certain situations.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials. Under development by the Office of Governmental Affairs.
- Licensing policy. Under Development by the Licensing Office (Auxiliary Services).