Significant proposed policies and policy revisions are published here, in draft form, for campus comment, as part of W&M's Policy Program.
- The proposed Family and Medical Leave Act Policy is available for review until September 18. This policy ensures that the university complies with the Family and Medical Leave Act, which guarantees eligible employees with unpaid leave in certain situations. This policy also helps maximize employees’ paid leave, by specifying how other university programs providing paid leave interact with unpaid leave provided under the Family and Medical Leave Act. Submit questions or comments throught the Tribe Response Form.
Policies adopted within the past six month are highlighted below.
- The International Travel Policy is effective May 1, 2017.
- Revisions to the Classification Policy and the Compensation Policy for Professional and Operational Employees were made final in March 2017.
- The Wireless Communications Policy will be effective July 1, 2017
Policies Under Review or Finalization
These are policies previously proposed and being finalized, or current W&M policies that are being reviewed and may be updated, revised, or eliminated.
- The proposed University Catalogs Policy was available for review and comment through June 30, 2017. It is now being finalized. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that official university Catalogs are archived and readily available for use by the university’s students, alumni, administrators, faculty, staff, and external constituents. The policy is being adopted in compliance with SACSCOC requirements.
- Policy on Financial Conflict of Interest. This policy was adopted in 1995 and has not been updated. Proposed revisions are underway.
Ideas for New Policies or Significant Revisions
This is a non-exhaustive list of new policies that are being drafted, considered, or planned. They may or may not come into being. If you have questions or suggestions about these policies, please contact the Office of Compliance & Equity.
- Policy on employee contact with federal and state government officials.
- Lactation policy (policy relating to employees or students breastfeeding children or expressing milk). There is a website with information on pregancy and lactation rights and resources.
- Outside food sourcing policy (under development by Auxiliary Services).