The Office manages three related programs:
The Compliance & Ethics Program
The Chief Compliance Officer has overall responsibility for the university's compliance and ethics program. This program, founded upon William & Mary's Code of Ethics, coordinates the many things the university does to prevent, detect, and remediate misconduct -- illegal or unethical conduct.
The Equity & Title IX Program
The Office coordinates W&M's discrimination, harassment, and sex- and gender-based violence prevention and response. The Office responds to reports and complaints of discrimination and harassment, including by conducting investigations. The Office also
- promotes policies and procedures relating to discrimination and sexual violence
- coordinates related training and education efforts
- helps remediate detected problems or areas of concern.
The Office partners closely with Diversity & Inclusion, which leads W&M's affirmative action programs. Online organization charts provide more information about which offices are involved in W&M's discrimination/sexual violence prevention and response work.
The Policy Program
The policy program develops and publishes university policies, procedures, and regulations.
You should contact the Office with:
- Reports or complaints of discrimination or harassment, including reports or complaints of sexual violence, sexual harassment, or other sexual misconduct;
- Whistleblower reports or other complaints of unethical or illegal conduct;
- Questions and concerns about compliance obligations or policies or procedures.
The Compliance & Equity Office does not provide privileged legal advice - please contact University Counsel for legal services. Compliance & Equity also does not directly handle NCAA (Athletics) compliance issues; please contact Compliance and Academic Support in the Athletics Department.
This website last updated January 2017.