Begin by being familiar with the top ten characteristics that virtually every employer looks for in a candidate:
Communication Skills--both verbal and written are highly prized
Teamwork skills (works well with others)
Interpersonal skills (relates well to others)
Strong work ethic
Employers are looking for people who demonstrate that they can:
- Make/Save money for the organization
- Save time/Make work easier
- Solve a specific problem
- Help the organization be more competitive
- Build Relationships, Brand, and Image of the organization
- Expand the scope of the organization
- Attract New Customers/Members
- Retain Existing Customers /Members
Beyond the above, do some research into the career fields that interest you. Know what kinds of career-specific qualities, skills, training employers in your chosen career field want.
Make sure that you highlight as many of these qualities as possible on your resume.