What is a Safety Officer?
Safety Officers are club members who are certified in First Aid and/or CPR. They are responsible for:
- Ensuring that all club members have submitted a Waiver/Agreement to Participate.
- Restocking the club's First Aid kit when necessary and ensuring it is present at all practices and events. First Aid Kits can be restocked with supplies from the Equipment Room in the Student Rec Center.
- Being aware of the Sport Club Emergency Protocols (pdf) and filling out an Injury/Incidence Report (pdf) should an incident occur. A copy of the Emergency Protocols should be kept in the club's First Aid Kit and should be present at all practices and events.
- Showing up! Every club must have at least two safety officers present at every club practice and event.
Each club must have a minimum of two people certified in CPR and two people certified in First Aid present at every club practice and event. These may or may not be the same two people. Failure to adhere to Safety Officer requirements will lead to termination of club activity, probation, and/or suspension.
Note: Safety Officers are the only club members who may check out keys to rooms in the Rec Center, William & Mary Hall, Busch Tennis Courts and the Busch fields.
How do I become a Safety Officer?
1. Fill out a Form S.
2. Self-enroll yourself into the Sport Club Safety Officer Module on Blackboard
- To do this you must access the Blackboard WM site, using your WM ID and password.
- At the bottom left corner of your home page, enter into the search box: Sport Club Safety Officer Module.
- Once at this page, scroll over the course ID number (NA-GMHEND-01-OCT2007).
- After clicking on the arrow, select enroll.
3. Upload a scanned copy of your CPR/First Aid certifications on to the Blackboard website. If you are not certified you may contact the Campus Recreation front desk to see when the next available class is. To upload your certs:
- Access the Sport Club Safety Officer Module home page. On the left there's a link -Upload Certifications.
- Click on this.
4. Take the Safety Officer Quiz and score 100%.
- To do this you must once again access the Sport Club Safety Officer Module home page.- On the left sidebar you will see two links: Safety Officer training and Safety Officer quiz.
- Access the training PowerPoint presentation first, and then take the quiz.
5. Once you have completed these steps you are officially a Sport Club Safety Officer.