The Meal Plan Contract covers an entire academic year and all undergraduate students living in College-owned housing are required to have a meal plan.
A Meal Plan Petition is not required for the following reasons:
- He/She is accepted in a William and Mary approved study abroad program. Verification must be received from the Reves Center.
- He/She is academically dismissed. Verification must be received from the Dean of Students office or the student's graduate program.
- He/She is required to withdraw due to medical reasons. Verification must be received from the Dean of Students office.
- He/She transfers to another institution. A copy of the acceptance letter to the institution is required for verification.
Meal Plan Petitions are considered by the Meal Plan Release Committee for well documented, extraordinary circucumstance not listed above.
A student making a request to be released from the Meal Plan Contract is asking for an exception. An approval of the petition is not automatic and is generally given only for well documented extraordinary circumstance.
William & Mary Dining Services are able to accomodate students with allergies to gluten, wheat, soy, shellfish, dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts as well as vegetarian and vegan dietary restrictions, so citing these dietary restrictions are not typically approved as a reason to be released from the meal plan.
Please visit the Special Diets page for more information. If you believe your diet cannot be accomodated, please submit a Meal Plan Petition and a meeting with the Dining Services Dietician will be arranged. The petitioning process requires Dining Services to provide a written recommendation to include with your petition regarding how your diet can, or cannot, be accomodated. Auxiliary Services will arrange the meeting as part of the petitioning process.
A $25.00 Cancellation/Change fee will be assessed for changes after the add/drop period each semester. For specific dates, please review the relevant academic calendar. Need to make a meal plan upgrade after the add/drop period? Email [[w|dining]]
Submit a Meal Plan Release Petition
Complete the online Meal Plan Release Petition (online form).
While completing this petition, you will need to have these documents available to submit based on your reasons for petitioning:
- Financial: income and expenses, i.e. bills, checkings/savings, loans, tax returns, and W2's
- Medical: Medical Release Form
- Religious: document demonstrating proof of practice
- Other: verification of circumstance
Auxiliary Services will review the petition and provide a fact sheet outlining the supporting documentation that will be required to have the petition considered by the Meal Plan Release Committee according to the extraordinary circumstances cited. For petitions citing special dietary needs, a meeting with the Dining Services registered dietician is required and will be arranged after the petition is received.
Petitions with supporting documentation are received by Auxiliary Services and will be reveiwed by the Meal Plan Petition Committee once all required paperwork is received and consultation requirements are met. The student will be contacted regarding the committee's decision with an email to their W&M email address.
Contact Auxiliary Services with any questions: