The Meal Plan Contract covers an entire academic year, fall and spring semesters. A student will only be released from his/her Meal Plan for the following reasons:
- He/She is accepted in a William and Mary approved study abroad program. Verification must be received from the Reves Center.
- He/She is academically dismissed. Verification must be received from the Dean of Students office or the student's graduate program.
- He/She is required to withdraw due to medical reasons. Verification must be received from the Dean of Students office.
- He/She transfers to another institution. A copy of the acceptance letter to the institution is required for verification.
- He/She is released by the Contract Release Committee due to extraordinary circumstances.
A student making a request to be released from the Meal Plan is asking for an EXCEPTION. An approval of the petition is NOT automatic and is generally only for extraordinary circumstances.
William & Mary Dining Services are able to accommodate gluten free, dairy, vegetarian and vegan dietary restrictions so citing these dietary restrictions are not typically approved as a reason to be released from the meal plan.
Please visit www.wm.edu/offices/auxiliary/dining/specialdiet for more information. If you believe your diet cannot be accommodated, please schedule a meeting with Larry Smith, the Director of Dining Services Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dining Services will provide a written recommendation to include with your petition if your diet cannot be accommodated.
Petitions with supporting documentation must be submitted to Auxiliary Services, Bridges House room 206, faxed to the office (757-221-2506) or emailed to email@example.com and will generally be reviewed during the first and third weeks of the month. The student will be contacted regarding the committee’s decision with an e-mail to their W&M e-mail address.
It is the student’s responsibility to furnish the Contract Release Committee with appropriate supporting documentation. Examples may include: your FAFSA (if applicable) and financial statements, if claiming financial hardship; statement of recommendation from a health care provider, if claiming medical problems; etc. Requests made for medical reasons may be forwarded to the Medical Review Committee for review.
There is a $25.00 Cancellation/Change Fee for approved cancellations after add/drop. You will be charged for all meals and dining dollars used.
Meal Plan Petition Form (PDF)