Keeping it green.
We understand our responsibility to the environment and to respond to the concerns that matter most to our clients, customers, employees and communities. Whether through our sustainable dining practices, our free campus recycling kits, our LEED certified facilities, or the Carbon Offset program, W&M is dedicated to protecting the environment.
We are a proud member of Virginia Green. Clean water, clean air, and abundant wildlife are what make our mountains, streams, and beaches so appealing to our tourists. Visitors to Virginia care about the environment and so does our tourism industry! This is the main premise behind Virginia Green. It is a network of tourism-related organizations and programs that are committed to protecting the environment while promoting responsible tourism.
Virginia Green is run through a partnership among the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), the Virginia Tourism Corporation (VTC), and the Virginia Hospitality and Travel Association (VHTA). The program seeks to reduce the environmental impacts of the tourism industry and raise environmental awareness.
Sustainable Dining at W&M
W&M demonstrate environmental stewardship with a dining program that promotes the preservation of the earth’s resources. We are committed to reducing our environmental footprint:
- Composting of all organic waste
- Trayless dining at the Sadler Center RFoC and the Commons Fresh Food Company
- Reusable mugs distributed by Student Environmental Action Coalition
- Reusable to-go container program
- Installed centralized condiment dispensers
- Tork Napkin Dispensers on each table in all dining halls using 100% recycled napkins
- Small-scale composting in partnership with the Campus Garden
- Recycle 100% of used cooking oil to be made into biofuel
- Fair Trade and 100% Organic Coffee offered across campus
- Eco-lab cleaning supplies
- Marva Maid locally-produced milk