General Facts about the year you entered the “real world” in 1967:
Average Cost of new house $14,250.00
Average Income per year $7,300.00
Average Monthly Rent $125.00
Gas per Gallon 33 cents
Loaf of bread 22 cents
The first Rolling Stone Magazine is published
The first Super Bowl played between Green Bay Packers (win 35-10) and the Kansas City Chiefs
Muhammad Ali is stripped of his heavyweight title for refusing induction into US army
The People's Republic of China tests its first hydrogen bomb
Ten of thousands of Vietnam War protesters march in Washington, D.C.
Evel Knievel jumps his motorcycle over 16 cars lined up in a row
The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, one of rock's most acclaimed albums
William & Mary historical events from when you were a student:
1963-Adair Gymnasium opened. It was named for Cornelia Storrs Adair, a student at William and Mary from 1921-1923.
1964-DuPont Hall, a women's residence hall, was opened and named for Jessie Ball DuPont, benefactress of the College and daughter of Thomas Ball, alumnus (1854).
1964-William Small Physical Laboratory, housing classrooms and research facilities for the Department of Physics, was opened as the first new classroom building in almost 30 years. It was named for Thomas Jefferson's "beloved teacher" of natural philosophy.
1964-The College of William and Mary was authorized to grant its first earned doctoral degrees-the Ph.D. in physics and in marine science. The College established its first Graduate Council in response to the growth of graduate studies.
1966-The Earl Gregg Swem Library opened as the keystone of the modern campus. The building was named after Dr. Swem, librarian at the College from 1920 to 1944 and a much-respected bibliographer. The statue of Lord Botetourt was moved into a special gallery in the library. Dedication took place on Charter Day.
1966-The Jefferson Prospect, extending westward from the Wren Building, was enhanced with the completion of the Crim Dell area just west of the Sunken Garden.
1966-The first Bookstore building opened on Jamestown Road near the Campus Center.
1967-The William and Mary Commons opened. It provided dining facilities on the new campus, supplementing 40-year-old Trinkle Hall.
1967-Twelve modern residence units in three buildings opened for the use of the College's Greek-letter fraternities. The facilities were designed for group living, each unit having social and dining rooms.
1967-The John Millington Hall of Life Sciences opened on the new campus. Named for a professor at William and Mary (1835-1848), it provided facilities for the departments of biology and psychology. It was dedicated at Charter Day 1969.
1967-The Computer Center, intended to serve the entire eastern Virginia region for state-related research and administrative uses, opened on the main campus.
1967-The College of William and Mary conferred its first earned doctorate, the Ph.D., in physics.