Please review the Programme Guide and Catalog Supplement for complete information.
You will take a total of 120 W&M credit hours (equivalent to 480 St Andrews credit hours) in the program. Test or transfer credit does not count towards that total.
William & Mary home students must complete at least 61 W&M credit hours in residence at W&M. You will complete the Joint Degree in four years of full-time study. Only in exceptional circumstances (such as medical withdrawal) will your time be extended.
Course Specific Requirements
You are required to complete the College’s foreign language, writing, and quantitative proficiencies and a COLL 150. Other proficiencies are part of the Joint Degree structure.
During your first year on the W&M campus, you will take a 1-credit course in the Fall that will help you navigate W&M's Programme expectations. First year W&M home students will also take a 1-credit course in the Spring semester to prepare for the first year abroad. This course is optional for St. Andrews home students.
You will satisfy the Programme's breadth requirement by taking six courses that meet the knowledge-objectives that underlie the College's existing COLL Curriculum:
- An understanding of the world of nature;
- An understanding of individual and social behavior;
- A general historical knowledge of Western civilization;
- An acquaintance with a non-Western cultural tradition;
- A general knowledge of masterworks, genres and movements in art, music, and literature;
- A general knowledge of major philosophical and religious systems.
You will work with your advisor to choose courses that fulfill these objectives as well as your academic goals.
Credit Hour Limitations
Certain courses may not count towards the Joint Degree.
- Credits from courses taken at W&M in Applied Music, Military Science, Physical Activities, and Theatre/Speech/Dance (with certain exceptions - see the Catalog for details)
- You may count only two introductory statistics courses toward the Joint Degree.
Exemption from degree requirements
Requests for exemption from any Joint Programme degree requirements must be presented to and approved by the Academic Director of the JDP. The request must be supported by documentation (for example, by a letter from a physician). Requests will also go to W&M's Committee on Degrees and be approved by the relevant administrators at St Andrews.