William & Mary is excited to announce its Whole of Government Center of Excellence. Recognizing that in an era of intensifying globalization current national security and public policy challenges require the collaboration of multiple branches of the U.S. military and civilian government agencies at the federal, state and local level. The Center’s mission is to provide practical training on interagency collaboration, complex national security and other policy problems, and to support research into "Whole of Government" solutions to these challenges. In addition to educational opportunities, the Center will bring together leaders from military and civilian agencies of all levels of government for symposiums, discussions and projects to promote creative, collaborative solutions to emerging issues.
Partnership with the Master of Public Policy Program:
The Whole of Government Center of Excellence offers the opportunity for mid-career military officers and policy professionals in federal, state and local agencies to gain practical training in solving complex national security and other policy problems and promoting interagency collaboration via our Master of Public Policy program. The academic program includes courses and extracurricular activities focusing on the Whole of Government approach as well as core training in public policy with a heavy emphasis on cutting-edge quantitative and analytical tools.
Students can enroll in a wide range of courses including:
- International Development Policy
- International Trade Policy
- National Security Law
- Policy Tools in U.S. National Security
- Public Management
- Network Analysis
- Geographical Information Systems
- Applied Program Evaluation
Competencies Gained Through Curriculum:
- Holistic understanding of the policy process and its relationship to the legal system
- Knowledge of the political and institutional environment in which policy takes place.
- Ability to conduct policy, economic, and quantitative analysis critical to the development and evaluation of evidence-based policy
- Experience with cutting-edge analytical tools including network analysis and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Benefit-cost analysis and evaluation techniques
- Development of written and oral communication skills for policy audience
The admissions deadline for the Fall 2017 cohort for this program is March 1st. The process differs slightly from what is available on the main admissions website so for more information contact our Director of Admissions at 757-221-2384.
Other opportunities through the Center:
Many opportunities will be offered through the Whole of Government Center of Excellence to students as well as military officers and policy professionals. These include lectures by high ranking officials, symposiums on critical issues and policy exercises. There are also opportunities to engage our students through policy analysis projects and internships.
To receive updates on upcoming events and opportunities you may “subscribe” by E-mailing your information to our main office at PublicPolicy@wm.edu.