Areas of Specialization
Civil Procedure; Civil Rights; Employment Discrimination; Law and Society; Women and the Law
Civil Procedure; Employment Discrimination
Representative Professional Activities and Achievements
Clerked for Chief Judge Spottswood W. Robinson, III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit and Judge Oliver Gasch of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and practiced law in Washington, D.C.
Distinguished Visiting Professor of Teaching Effectiveness, Franklin Pierce Law Center (Fall 1999)
Member of the Board of Directors, Virginia Lawyers Helping Lawyers; and
Member, American Bar Association Commission on Lawyer Assistance Programs.Served as:
- William and Mary's Director of Equal Opportunity from 2002 to 2007;
- Director, William and Mary Summer Law Program in Madrid, SPAIN (1999); and
- Director, William and Mary Summer Law Program in Adelaide, AUSTRALIA (1995).
- University Professor for Teaching Excellence, 2011-2014;
- John Marshall Award, May 2013;
- Walter Williams Teaching Award, May 2011;
- NAACP Faculty Award;
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association Foundation Distinguished Faculty Award;
- Black Law Students' Association Jane Matilda Bolin Award; and
- Black Law Student Association, Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Co-author, Employment Discrimination Casebook (Susan Grover ed., Carolina Acad. Press 2d ed. 2013) (with Sandra Sperino & Jarod Gonzalez).
- Co-author, Consider the Source: When the Harasser is the Boss, 79 Fordham L. Rev. 499 (2010) (with Kimberly Piro). SSRN.
- Helping Law Students, 13 A.B.A. Highlights 10 (2010).
- Symposium, Personal Integration and Outsider Status as Factors in Law Student Well Being, 47 Washburn L.J. 419 (2008).
- After Ellerth: The Tangible Employment Action in Sexual Harassment Analysis, 35 U. Mich. J.L. Reform 809 (2002).
- "The First Stone" in Retrospect: An Outsider's Observations on the Book and Its Critics, 11 Wis. Women's L.J. 243 (1996), reprinted in Law Inst. J., Dec. 1996, at 32.
- On the El, 12 Australian J.L. & Soc'y. (1996).
- The Business Necessity Defense in Disparate Impact Discrimination Cases, 30 Ga. L. Rev. 387 (1996).
- Ain't?, 3 S. Cal. Rev. L. & Women's Stud. 335 (1994).
- The Employer's Fetal Injury Quandary After Johnson Controls, 81 Ky. L.J. 639 (1993).
- Zoe Baird, Betrayal and Fragmentation, 2 S. Cal. Rev. L. & Women's Stud. 429 (1993).
- The Silenced Majority: Martin v. Wilks and the Legislative Response, 1992 U. Ill. L. Rev. 43 (1992).
- Note, A Constitutional Analysis of the Delaware Director Consent-to-Service Statute, 70 Geo. L.J. 1209 (1982).
- Author and Counsel of Record, Brief of The Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law et al. as Amici Curiae in Support of Respondent, Pennsylvania State Police v. Suders, 126 S. Ct. 2405, (2004) (No. 05-259).
- Racial Disparities an American Reality, Daily Press, May 19, 2004.
- Book Note, Ethics 662 (Spring) (2000) (reviewing Schulhofer, Unwanted Sex: The Culture of Intimidation and the Failure of Law (Harvard University Press 1998)).
- Op-ed, The Virginia Human Rights Act: A Sanctuary for Employers Who Discriminate?, Daily Press, Jan. 1999.
- Op-ed, Regarding the Need for Legal Protection from Sexual Harassment in the Workplace in Barbados, The Barbados Saturday Advocate, Mar. 30, 1996, at 9.
- Why the Veto Hurts More Than You Think, Legal Times, Nov. 5, 1990, at 34.
- Reconciling Fairness and Racial Preference, Legal Times, July 2, 1990, at 23.