Required Credit Hours: 33
The German Studies concentration consists of 33 credits; 27 credits (nine courses) in German Studies plus 6 credits from outside the department (courses chosen in consultation with advisor). Of the courses taken in the German section, two may be taken in English. Students must also fulfill the major writing proficiency and major computing proficiency requirements, as defined below.
- GRMN 207 - Introduction to German Cultural Studies (3)
- GRMN 307 - The German Speaking Peoples and Their Civilization (3)
- GRMN 320 - Great Moments in German Literature (3)
- Two 400-level courses (excluding GRMN 412 "Teaching Practicum" and GRMN 490 "Intensive FL Institute for Teachers of German"), which may include independent research In German Studies (411, 491) or GRMN 495-496 (Honors). One of these 400-level courses must be taken at the College of William and Mary.
- Two courses (6 credits) from outside the department chosen in consultation with major advisor.
- 12 elective credits above GRMN 202, six credits of which (2 courses) may be in English (GRMN 220, GRMN 287 , GRMN 312 GRMN 313, or GRMN 387).
Students will fulfill the major writing proficiency requirement by receiving a C- or higher in one of the following courses:
Majors are strongly encouraged to take advantage of opportunities for study abroad in a German-speaking country. Courses taken in study abroad programs can count toward major requirements.