CSUMS Research Schedule
Unless specified otherwise, the activity will take place in Jones 131.
Weekly lunch will be conducted on Wednesday. UBM students may join us.
Talks and mathematics movies will be arranged in the morning.
Field trips to research organization such as NASA, Jefferson Lab, will be arranged.
Cookout and other social events will be organized.
Daily scheduleJune 2 (Monday)
- 10:00 a.m. Welcome breakfast meeting,
introduction of CSUMS students and faculty, and
assignment of office keys and desks.
- 11:00 a.m. -> Meeting with advisors.
June 4 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by Chi-Kwong Li on Quantum error correction.
- noon Lunch with UBM group at Millington 108.
June 5 (Thursday)
- 11:00 a.m. McHugh Auditorium, Watermans's Hall. Talk by Bruce Wielicki on
Climate change: moonshine, millions of models, and billions of data - New ways to sort fact from fiction.
June 11 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by Paul Tian on Competition of Germline Stem Cells within Niche.
- Lunch with UBM group at Millington 108.
June 18 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by David Phillips on "Maximum weight closures and open pit mines".
- Lunch with UBM group at Millington 108.
- 2:00 p.m. Matlab session by Michael Lewis.
June 25 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by Hyunju Ban.
- noon. Lunch with UBM group at Millington.
- 2:00-4:00 mid-term reports by Truelove, Liarakos, Clark, Mahle.
June 27 (Friday)
- 2:00-4:00 mid-term reports by Archer, Paljug, Williams, Essman.
- 5:00-8:00 Cook out at Mid-County Park.
July 2 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by Michael Lewis on "Your computer and you."
- noon Lunch with UBM group in Jones 206. Video tape show: Proof (of the Fermat's Last Theorem).
July 9 (Wednesday)
- 1:30-11:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by David Lutzer on "Domain theory connected to quantum computing and theorectical computer science."
- noon Lunch with UBM group in Jones 206. DVD show - Flatland: A Journey of Many Dimensions.
July 16 (Wednesday)
- 1:30-11:30 a.m. Jones 131. Talk by Virginia Torczon on Computational Complexity.
- noon Lunch with UBM group in Jones 206. DVD show - The Films of Charles and Ray, EAMES, Volume 1: Powers of Ten.
July 23 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 Talk by Vadim Olshevsky (U. Connecticut).
Title: Structured Matrices and Their Applications
Abstract: Structured matrices play a very important role in several theoretical and applied areas. They arise in numerous applications, they are used in many deep mathematical theories and their importance in numerical analysis is on the rise. In other words, they are instrumental at all three stages of a comprehensive research cycle - from applications through mathematics to efficient implementations.
In this talk we describe several problems and their solutions to illustrate all of the above points. We start with an application to list decoding of Reed-Solomon codes, and show how it leads to the concept of displacement structure. We mention solving classical rational interpolation problems but consider them in the context usual for theoretical computer science and discuss "superfast" algorithms for solving them. Finally, we will address numerical accuracy issues of structured matrix applications.
- noon Lunch with UBM group in Jones 206. DVD show ???
July 30 (Wednesday)
- 10:30 a.m. Talk by Daniel Vasiliu on "Microstructures and Optimal Environments: Variational models for microstructures and energy minimizers."
- noon Lunch with UBM group.
- 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Final reports by Truelove, Liarakos, Clark, Mahle
July 31 (Thursday)
- 2:00-4:00 Final reports by Archer, Paljug, Williams, Essman
- August 27. Comments and evaluations of the summer program. Evaluation form
- August 27. Written final report.
- August 31. Personal website containing your experience with the CSUMS program.
- Sept. 5. Register for honors thesis study. Procedure
Presentation schedule of UBM students in Millington 108, 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Friday, June 13: Daniel Hariprasad
- Friday, June 20: Jana Hartman
- Thursday, June 26: Sean Dalby
- Thursday, July 3: David Gould
- Friday, July 11: Niha Zubair
- Friday, July 18: Sarah Fox
- Friday, July 25: Andrew Wilcox