Areas of Specialization
Dr. Connell currently serves as a Clinical Professor of Kinesiology at the College. Before arriving at the College Dr. Connell has had a distinguished career serving in a variety of capacities beginning with service as Medical Officer in the Third Infantry Division of the Royal Army Medical Corps. Since 1978, Dr. Connell has also served as Dean of the College of Medicine and School of Allied Health at the University of Nebraska, Vice-President for Health Sciences at VCU, Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences at East Carolina University and Assistant Inspector General of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
In addition to his interests in health care, Dr Connell is pursuing a career in writing. In "How the Scots created America" published in 2008, he traces how Scottish Enlightenment concepts, especially traditional Scot's resistance to unjust government, influenced eighteenth century Colonial thought.
The main plot of a suspense novel, "Dust in the Veteran's Eyes," draws on the tension between medical and administrative services that plagues many hospitals. This novel will be released later in 2009.
Dr. Connell is negotiating for the publication of a text, "Introduction to Clinical Practice."
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Fellow, Royal College of Physicians
- M.D., University of Glasgow
- M.R.C.P., University of Edinburgh
- M.B., Ch.B., University of Glasgow
- B.Sci., University of Glasgow
Intro to Clinical Practices (KINE 380)
- How the Scots Created America. Publish America, 2008.
- Monitoring the Quality of Health Care, Kluwer, 2003
- Clinical Tests of Gastric Function, Pitman, 1978
- Over 130 publications in professional journals
- Deschenes MR, Connell AM, Jackson EM, Taylor JL, Glass EK. A comparison of physiological variables in aged and young women during and following submaximal exercise. Am J Hum Biol.2009 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Honors, Prizes, and Awards
- Distinguished Lecturer to Universities and Professional Societies in Europe, North America and North Africa.
- Member of numerous professional committees and boards including Governor's Board of Education Committee for Health Professions, Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Listed Who's Who in America 1980 - Present
- Listed Who's Who in the World 2006 - Present