Inventories of biological species provide one metric of the diversity of natural resources present in Lake Matoaka and its surrounding watershed. As more students conduct studies in the watershed, we expect our inventories to become more complete. Our objective here is to use species inventories to demonstrate the diversity of life present in different habitats in the lake and watershed, and to establish a baseline record of biological resources for tracking species changes in response to environmental alteration, both natural and man-made.
- Non-tidal, riparian forest habitat
- Open water habitat (Lake Matoaka)
- Stream habitat
- Upland coastal plain forest habitat
- Tidal freshwater stream habitat
- A Guide to Woodland Plants Found along The Keck Trail (PDF)