IR/GS Commencement News
Contact: Monika Van Tassel, 757 221 3082 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Student Speaker for IR/GS Commencement Ceremony
The International Relations and Global Studies Program announces the 2013 Competition for Student Commencement Speaker. One student will deliver a 4 to 5 minute address of his or her choosing during the May 11th commencement ceremony. The address must be relevant to students graduating with degrees in International Relations and Global Studies. All 2013 IR/GS graduates are eligible to apply.
Applicants should submit the following to Monika Van Tassel in Morton 226 (mail slot Morton 226) by 10:00am, Monday, April 22nd:
(1) Typewritten responses to each of the following questions:
(a) Why do you wish to be the commencement speaker? Please provide any other information pertinent to your candidacy for this honor. (Not to exceed one page.)
(b) What would you say to graduating students, their families and guests at the ceremony if you were chosen today to be the speaker? (Not to exceed one page.)
(2) The names of two faculty members willing to serve as references. They should be in a position to comment on your thoughtfulness and your ability to articulate ideas.
Two to five finalists will be selected for interviews. A committee composed of the IR and GS program directors and program advisors will make the final selection no later than May 3rd 2013.
Being chosen to speak at commencement is a high honor. All who are interested are urged to apply. For further information, please contact Monika Van Tassel at 757 - 221-3082.
• IR/GS Commencement
Saturday, May 11th, 2013, 11:00 AM, Phi Beta Kappa Hall. Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony. Wear your gowns, hoods, honors cords, pins etc., but no mortar boards please! No tickets required. Bring as many family members and friends as you wish. A reception will follow.
If your only major is IR or GS, you should attend the department ceremony on Saturday and pick up your diploma at the Wightman Cup Room on Sunday immediately after the main W&M ceremony.
If you are a double major (IR and Econ, for example) you CAN participate in both IR/GS ceremony on Saturday, May 11th and also in your major`s ceremony on Sunday, May 12th (note that you are NOT allowed to attend other departments ceremonies on Sunday unless you are a double major!).
If you are graduating in August 2013 or graduated last January you are also invited to participate.
1. If you are graduating and want to participate in our commencement please contact Monika Van Tassel at email@example.com in the IR/GS office. Please write down your name exactly as you want it to be called by the professor.
2. If you are graduating but do not plan to process in the IR/GS Commencement on Saturday, May 11, 2013, at Phi Beta Kappa Hall also please contact Monika.
3. If your name has an unusual pronunciation, please email the phonetic pronunciation to Monika or call her to work on it together. When your name is announced at Commencement, we would like to pronounce it correctly.
4. Seniors, please try to be at PBK by 10:30 am on Saturday morning.
We look forward to seeing you, your family and friends at the Commencement and the reception which immediately follows in the Dodge Room.
• Diploma pick up
Please plan to pick up your diploma in the Wightman Cup Room of William and Mary Hall immediately following Sunday’s Commencement. If you do not pick up your diploma at the Wightman Cup Room, they will be sent to the Registrar's office.
• Office of Student Affairs
Students must read their e-mail messages from the Office of Student Affairs and study the commencement web site at http://www.wm.edu/about/administration/senioradmin/studentaffairs/campusevents/commencement/index.php
If you have any question or concerns do not hesitate to contact me.
Monika Van Tassel , Morton Hall 226, Phone: 757 221 3082, Fax: 757 221 1868 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IR Graduation Photo Galleries