Applicants to William & Mary's graduate program in history should have at minimum a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, twenty-four college-level credit hours in history, and at least a B average, or they must have completed satisfactorily the first year of graduate work at an accredited college or university. Foreign students who attended a university that operates primarily in a language other than English must submit a TOEFL score of at least 550.
Postmarked by December 5 (If Sunday, postmarked by December 6).
Applicants are encouraged to apply online. Alternately, you can complete, print, and mail in the Graduate Application Form (pdf). You must also supply the following additional materials. All supplemental materials should be enclosed in an envelope and send by December 5 to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Lyon G. Tyler Department of History
The College of William & Mary
P.O. Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795
- A completed Graduate Application Form (either the online application or the printable version pdf)
- A completed History Supplemental Form (pdf)
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education you have attended must be provided in the institution's sealed envelope and received directly from that institution to the department.
- Three letters of recommendation. Applicants applying online are required to submit online recommendations. If you apply by mail, letters of recommendation must be in envelopes sealed, and signed across the seal, by the recommenders.
- A writing sample of twenty pages or fewer
- A $45 application fee
- The In-state Tuition Form (pdf) - VA residents only.
Applicants must also have official results of the Graduate Record Examination sent to the History Department. (If you are concerned that your official results will not arrive by the deadline, you may enclose your photocopied results in your application packet, but be aware that you cannot be admitted without your official GRE scores.)
If you cannot download the application materials:
Please, request an application.