Duties of the session chair prior to the session:
1) Pick up your folder from the registration table at least 15 minutes before the start of your session, so that you can be present in your session room at least 10 minutes before the start of your session.
2) The room proctor should be present at least 10 minutes before the start of the session and should introduce themselves when you arrive.
3) Verify that the PC laptop, LCD projector, and microphone are in working order. Verify that each speaker is present.
4) Presentations should already be loaded onto the PC laptop. However, if presenters have made last minute changes, please have them upload the new version onto the laptop before the session begins.
5) Tell the presenters that you will be monitoring the time of their presentation.
Natural & Computational Scientific Presentations: 12 minutes with 3 minutes for questions
Humanities & Social Sciences Presentations: 15 minutes with 5 minutes for questions
5) Under no circumstances should a presenter be allowed to go over their allotted time, so that the session stays on track. This is one of your most important roles. Explain to presenters that when there are two minutes left to his/her allotted time, you will raise a card that says "2 minutes" and that you will also have a "30 seconds" and "STOP" card.
Duties of the session chair during the session:
1) Bring the session to order on time, encouraging the audience to take seats at the front of the room.
2) Welcome presenters and guests to the event. Announce the title of the session, and introduce yourself as the session chair.
3) Introduce the first presenter.
4) At the end of each talk, open the question/answer period, and thank the presenter again.
5) Introduce the next speaker.
6) Conclude the session by thanking all of the presenters and guests.
In case of an Emergency:
1) Know where the exits are in the room and direct people to them in case of an emergency.
2) Your room proctor will be available to help answer any questions you may have, will ensure the room is set up and clean, and will monitor the attendance sheet. Audio-visual personnel will be at the registration table to assist you with equipment issues should you have any.
Thank you very much for your support and generosity of time. It is because of you that we are able to provide everyone with a truly professional conference experience.