The following duties of the Faculty Affairs Committee derive from its mandate to apprise itself of important developments that affect the welfare of the Arts and Sciences faculty and our academic mission, deliberate on these matters carefully, and bring these to the attention of the faculty, the Dean, or the higher administration of the College as appropriate. Contact FAC members at [[as-fac]].
- Set the agenda for the monthly meetings of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).
- Schedule reports of FAS committees at the monthly meeting of the FAS.
- Propose resolutions for the consideration of the FAS at their monthly meeting.
- Appoint FAS members to standing appointive FAS and College-wide committees.
- Provide at least three of its members to serve on the Faculty Assembly.
- Nominate members of FAS for service on the Nominations and Elections Committee.
- Act on behalf of the FAS when the College is not in session, provided that a majority of the FAC is present.
- Bring concerns of the members of the FAS to the Dean.
- Consult with the Dean on the size, composition, and membership of A&S standing and ad-hoc committees.
- Advise the Dean on the conferring of prizes and awards on the members of the FAS.
- Advise the Dean on the renewal of contracts for A&S NTEs.
- Advise the Dean on A&S policies and procedures.
- Advise the Dean on other matters concerning the FAS.
Members are nominated and elected by the Nominations and Elections Committee, with two faculty members elected from each of the three areas of Arts & Sciences. The committee meets weekly during the academic sessions.