The A&S Affirmative Action Committee serves as a resource to faculty and staff in relation to issues of discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability.
The committee can take complaints and speak with individuals, and inform them of possible routes to change their situation. All these interactions would be considered confidential.
The committee is made up of: (a) three faculty members, one from each of the Arts & Sciences areas; (b) a representative from the professional and classified staff appointed by the President of HACE. The Committee Chair will be internally selected by the committee.
The Committee's responsibilities include:
- Consulting with the Director of Equal Opportunity on the climate surrounding equal opportunity and sexual harassment at the College and making recommendations on ways to improve it.
- Reviewing an annual draft report by the Chair of the Affirmative Action Committee before the report's submission to the Faculty Affairs Committee and before the Chair addresses the A&S Faculty on the substance of the report.
- Reviewing for inclusion in the Chair's annual report such data as those showing A&S units' efforts and success in attracting, recruiting, and retaining members of traditionally excluded groups and data documenting climate issues at the College.
- The Chair or an appointed member of the A&S Affirmative Action Committee will serve on the College EO Committee.
- Consulting with Departmental and Program Affirmative Action (or Equal Opportunity) officers at least once per year.