The Environmental Science and Policy program promotes multidisciplinary education and research to produce active and literate environmental citizens, leaders, and problem solvers. We emphasize the value of integrating knowledge and approaches from the natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, and professional schools to generate a holistic understanding of environmental issues and policy making, while simultaneously stressing the need for in-depth training in at least one environmental discipline.
Our Goals. We aspire to:
- Provide multidisciplinary environmental education and research opportunities for our students, while also recognizing that each student should gain specialist knowledge in at least one environmental discipline.
- Promote synergistic exchange and creation of research and educational initiatives among departments, schools, and programs related to the environment.
- Foster opportunities for faculty from different disciplines to closely mentor a diverse body of students under a common framework--the environment.
- Equip students with the skills, experience, and connections to continue in an environmentally related career after graduation.
- Develop greater awareness on campus and in the local community of timely environmental issues and develop and implement sound environmental policies in collaboration with local stakeholders.