Majoring in English
A major in English requires a minimum of 36 credits in departmental courses, at least 27 of which must be in courses numbered 300 and above. All majors are required to take the following:
1. English 203: British Literature I
2. English 204: British Literature II
3. One course in American literature, chosen from 207, 361,362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 371, 414A, or 417B
4. One course in a single author or auteur, chosen from English 419, 420, 421, 422 or 426
5. English 475 (or 494): Research Seminar
Major courses are chosen in consultation with a departmental advisor on the basis of the student’s preparation, background, career expectations and educational interests. The department encourages students to design a program of study that exposes them to a range of historical periods and critical approaches to literature. A sound major program should include, in addition to the requisite course in English, a coherent pattern of complementary courses in other departments and allied fields chosen in consultation with the advisor.
Students may fulfill the Major Computing Proficiency Requirement by taking English 475 or 494.