Hebrew Placement

Students seeking credit for ancient Hebrew taken elsewhere or placement to enable them to continue in ancient Hebrew at William and Mary are required to petition the professor teaching ancient Hebrew that semester. That professor reviews the student's records and completes the necessary forms, including, if appropriate, the departmental placement form. These forms must be submitted to the Classical Studies Department Chair for final approval. The student should also request an "instructor permission" override for the appropriate course.

Note that the Department of Modern Languages determines whether the level of modern Hebrew is appropriate to fulfill the foreign language requirement.  The same instructor may examine students with ancient or modern Hebrew, but the assessment and the paperwork are handled differently.