The College of William & Mary invites all admitted, first-year students to apply to the Sharpe Community Scholars Program each year (transfer students are not eligible to apply for this program). Click here for a pdf preview of the application; use the following link to apply: Applications must be submitted online by May 31.
The program aims to select between 60 and 70 participants who demonstrate the following characteristics in their applications:
- A clear indication of promise for developing a scholarly orientation toward community engagement – with reference to intellectual, social, or emotional transformation, for example, from early engagement experiences to more recent
- A clearly defined and articulated academic orientation to community engagement – for example, in intended areas for academic concentration or described preference for a course offered in the current Sharpe curriculum
- Leadership capacity through a diversity of experiences, in team participation as much as individual initiatives
- Focused approach to engaged learning that lends itself to structured guidance more readily than general interest in volunteerism
The online application is made available each fall with a final deadline of May 31 each year. Participants are selected by a committee of faculty and posted online on June 1.
The application will gather the following information:
- Community service experience in high school
- Community-based research preferences
- Seminar interests
- Your most meaningful community engagement and public service experiences
- Your community engagement leadership experience (including honors and awards)
- Why Sharpe Community Scholars program interests you