In 2011, the College of William & Mary and the Pulitzer Center formally launched their Campus Consortium partnership. It began October 16-17 with the first session of a specially-designed Sharp Seminar, bringing together William & Mary students and Pulitzer Center journalists to promote global learning and quality storytelling in journalism over the course of the academic year.
“Our partnership with the College of William & Mary offers a great opportunity to connect strong academic research with solid international journalism,” said Ann Peters, Pulitzer Center director of development and outreach. “We anticipate rich conversations between the students and the journalists over the course of these next months. We are eager to see how the students integrate the storytelling techniques they discover and build on during the seminar into new opportunities for reaching diverse audiences on a range of issues.”
“While William & Mary provides students with many opportunities to write as scholars for other scholars, this course is designed to help the students improve their abilities to write as a citizen for other citizens,” said Joel Schwartz, director of the Charles Center at the College.
2012-13 Sharp Seminar participants
- Aly Brahe - The Crackdown
- Sarah Caspari - Global Perception of Che Guevara
- Andrea Filzen - Clash on the Border of the Tohomo O’odham Nation
- Katie Kennedy - Use It or Lose It: Social Media in the 2012 Election
- Max Lander - School Garden Programs and Food Security
- Dana McKelvey - Bosnia Prepares for First Post-War Census
- Deborah Van Roy - El Nuevo South: A Land of Isolation
- Allyson Zacharoff - Spain Rights the Wrong of Jewish Exile?