The Mary E. Ferguson Memorial Research Grant
Established by Ms. Aileen Ferguson in honor of her daughter Mary E. Ferguson, this award supports undergraduates doing independent research.
Award: $200-400, to be spent within the fiscal year of award
Nomination Deadline: Two application deadlines per year: Oct 1, Feb 17
Materials to Submit:
- Brief description of the research project including an itemized budget and all figures, tables, and bibliography (maximum of 2 pages) — the project description should be written by the student in consultation with the faculty advisor. Applications that exceed this page limit will not be reviewed.
- Letter of support from nominating faculty member.
Eligibility and Guidelines:
- Eligible students include those enrolled in BIOL403, 495, 496, 201 and 303 (201 and 303 students are eligible only if they are proposing summer research) and relevant biological research through other programs' research sections (e.g. Neuroscience, Marine Science, Environmental Science and Policy)
- Priority is given to proposal from first-time applicants and those from labs who have received fewer than two Ferguson awards in a given academic year
- Grants will be distributed among as many labs as possible
- Late, incomplete, and applications that do not meet these guidelines will not be reviewed
- All eligible applications will be ranked by members of the Undergraduate Studies Committee
- The award of ranked proposals is dependent on the amount of Ferguson award money available
- Depending on ranking and availability of funds, awards are between $200-400 each
- Students and faculty advisors are notified by email about the outcomes of the review
- It is the responsibility of the faculty advisors to coordinate with the Biology Office to arrange dispersal of fund/expenditures
- Students who do not receive an award may resubmit revised proposals at the next deadline
The faculty advisor emails the 2-page application and letter of support (as a single PDF document) to the Chair of the Undergraduate Studies Committee, [[jpswad,John Swaddle]].