- Applied Science at William and Mary began as a program in the early 1970's whose topical emphases were Computer Science, Applied Math, Computer Science, Chemical Physics, and Atmospheric and Plasma Science (ionospheric studies).
- Applied Science became an independent department in 1995. Research in the department at this time was mostly in the broader area of materials science.
- The department started a new track to include a life science component, featuring experimental efforts as well as theory and modeling.
History of our Building
Dedicated on October 27,1995, McGlothlin-Street Hall was first named Tercentenary Hall for the College of William and Mary's 300th birthday celebration in 1992-1993. Built at a cost of $9.5 million, the four-story structure occupies a site along the historic Sunken Garden and completed the 1925 master plan of buildings on "Old Campus".
Bricks used for the building were custom-made by the Old Virginia Brick Co. to closely resemble bricks used for the Wren Building.
In September, 1997, Lady Margaret Thatcher, former prime minister of Great Britain and Chancellor of the College was the principal speaker at the re-dedication of the McGlothlin-Street Hall. The building was renamed to honor James McGlothlin(class of 1962, 1964), Chairman and CEO of The United Company of Bristol, Virginia, a former member of the Board of Visitors.