Murray 1693 Scholar
Rochester, MN (Mayo High School)
My reasons for choosing W&M were too standard, straight-from-the-college-brochure to be mentioned here, but that matters little in light of the fact that the 1693 program has justified my choice. It was difficult to grasp, after just a brief visit here, how immense my respect for the people in this program would grow. The scholars are my first and most reliable friends on campus, and you can find me at the Murray House an embarrassing amount of the time.
Computer Science with a possible double in Applied Math
- William & Mary Wind Ensemble
- Flute player
- William & Mary Review
- Prose editor for William & Mary’s official literary magazine
- Reviews fiction and nonfiction submission from professional writers
- Summer Research
- Research assistant to economics professor John Parman
- Performed Monte Carlo simulations of a novel measure of racial segregation
What I'm Doing This Summer
I’ll be doing combinatorics and AI research at the University of Maryland College Park REU.
Ideal Battle of Wits
Two goblets and a vial of iocane powder. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead. I also like logic puzzles.
High School Activities
- Served as Chief Marketing Officer (Junior year) and Chief Executive Officer (Senior year) for the Minnesota Student Energy Project, a student-run 501(c)(3) nonprofit that promotes alternative energy education in high schools.
- Writing lab hermit, part time
- Participated in Model United Nations
- Two-time participant in the Minnesota State Knowledge Bowl competition, taking third place junior year
- Took private lessons in flute and classical guitar
- Played intramural basketball and ultimate frisbee (league champs)
- National Merit Commendation
- National Spanish Exam Silver (3 years)
- Gold Key Award, 2012 National Writing Awards Midwest-Region-at-Large