Murray 1693 Scholar
Sterling, Virginia (Potomac Falls High School and the Loudoun County Academy of Science)
I only applied to a few places, because I knew what I wanted to see in a school. It was a tall order, really: small student body, beautiful campus, brilliant professors, extensive undergraduate research, freedom to study what I wanted and delicious food. I thought it wasn't possible, but W&M has given me all but one of those things, and I couldn't see myself anywhere else.
High School Activities and Awards
I won some music related Senior Superlatives (Most Musical and Best Singer) and earned a spot on the Dean's List and the Top Ten Students of Potomac Falls my senior year of high school. I was also recognized by the Sterling Ruritan Club as the Outstanding Student from my school and received the I'm Third award for community service from the religious organization SB2W. I've won five Battle of the Bands and recorded an EP last year with the same group. I founded and led the Transcendentalism Club at my high school, in which we mostly ate and did things we hadn't planned on doing. I've played piano, guitar, and sung for many years and taught lessons in all three.
What I Did Last Summer
- W&M Washington DC Summer Institute on Leadership and Community Engagement
- Check out this YouTube video about the program. I was one of the students highlighted.
My Intended Majors/Minors
Storytelling (self-designed interdisciplinary major), Social Justice (self-designed interdisciplinary major), Chemistry, Theater, English, Religious Studies, Philosophy, Sociology, Advanced Decision Making (a minor this school should have)
Extracurriculars at W&M
- Gentlemen of the College all-male a capella group
- Someone You Know sexual assault awareness and advocacy group
- Genopolitics research lab with Professor Jaime Settle
- Occasional Homebrew performer
Possible "1693 Projects"
- "How the Batman Got His Cowl, and Other Stories: Ancient Symbolism in Popular Culture"
- "I Love Rock and Roll, and So Can You: Music's Impact on Neural Oscillation"
- "The Polyphasic Man: A Study on Not Sleeping"
- "The Food-Mood Connection: the Effect of Dietary Hormone Signaling on Emotion and Performance"
- "Ayiti Se Kikote M'te Kite M'Ke: Improving Haitian National Literacy Through Children's Books"
- Go back to Haiti
- Make some decisions. Maybe.