Murray 1693 Scholar
Chesapeake, VA (Norfolk Academy)
When I visited William & Mary, I sensed that students were intellectually curious, both inside and outside the classroom. The students and teachers displayed a level of enthusiasm I did not see at other colleges, and the small class size and undergraduate focus at William & Mary allowed teachers to be generous with their time. I also appreciated the research opportunities afforded to undergraduate students.
Physics and Government
Research at William & Mary
William & Mary’s commitment to undergraduate research provided me multiple opportunities to participate in research projects in both of my majors.
In my sophomore year, I interned for the Project on International Peace and Security (PIPS), where I researched innovative methods of using Air Force technology to provide low-cost humanitarian assistance.
In my junior year, I began research with the William & Mary Nondestructive Evaluation Lab, where I analyzed the structural composition of various objects with an ultrasonic tank scan. This research will culminate in the capstone project for my Physics major.
I recently completed an independent research project on Congressional voting patterns, where I analyzed whip count data for the 1993 NAFTA vote.
I am the Digital Media Manager for dotDemocracy, a student-run organization aimed at studying and addressing the effects of social media on political behavior. In February 2014, dotDemocracy will host the Weingartner Digital Citizenship Forum, which will include a keynote address by entrepreneur and professor Nicco Mele.
I am currently participating in the PIPS e-internship program, where I conduct research for Air Combat Command at Joint Base Langley-Eustis.
Extracurriculars at W&M
- Society of Physics Students
- Volunteer for the "DIY/FIY" film competition
- Participant in the "24 Speed" film festival
- Participated in the 24 hour play festival by writing a stageplay
High School Activities / Awards
- President of the Norfolk Academy International Relations Club
- Editor-in-Chief of The Belfry, a student-run publication
- Finalist in Norfolk Academy Senior Speech Program
- Interned with Thomas Padrick, Virginia Beach Circuit Court Judge
- Participated in cross country, track and crew