Murray 1693 Scholar
Chesapeake, VA (Norfolk Academy)
I wanted to choose a college where students were intellectually curious, both inside and outside the classroom. I definitely found this at William & Mary. During my visit, I made a point of sitting in on classes were not on the "recommended courses" list given to visitors, which were full of interesting lectures and compelling discussions.
The students and teachers displayed a level of enthusiasm I did not see at other colleges. I could tell the small class size and undergraduate focus at William & Mary allowed teachers to be generous with their time. I also appreciated the research opportunities afforded to undergraduate students.
High school activities/awards
- President of the Norfolk Academy International Relations Club
- Editor-in-Chief of The Belfry, a student-run publication
- Finalist in Norfolk Academy Senior Speech Program
- William Henry Thompson Loyall Memorial Award recipient
- Thomas McEntee Martin Award recipient
- Interned with Thomas Padrick, Virginia Beach Circuit Court Judge
- Camp Counselor for Norfolk Academy Summer Programs
- Participated in cross country, track and crew
Extracurriculars at W&M
- International Relations Club
- Volunteer for the "DIY/FIY" film competition
- Participant in the "24 Speed" film festival
- Participated in the 24 hour play festival by writing a stageplay
Research at William & Mary
I am currently conducting independent research on Congressional voting patterns, in which I analyze whip count data for the 1993 NAFTA vote.
I was accepted to the Weingartner Policy Fellows Program, in which I will work other undergraduates to write a policy proposal to address the question, "Can ways be found to make politics more substantive while at the same time expanding popular participation?"